Swimming is one of the best ways to get and stay in shape. It is a full-body cardio workout and it won’t cause any stress or strain on your joints, but the swimming pool contractors from Advanced Pools, Inc in Memphis, TN offer 5 ways to keep skin healthy while swimming because chlorine can be drying.
Whether you spend hours in your pool or just swim occasionally, sun and chemicals can wreak havoc on your skin. You need care for your skin before and after a swim. If you spend hours in the pool you need to spend time caring for your skin.
Here are our best tips to keep your skin healthy and happy when you’re whiling away the hours in the pool.
5 ways to keep skin healthy while swimming
- Shower as soon as you’re done swimming. Showering after removing chlorine and chemicals from the water, don’t scrub or towel off too vigorously because you could irritate your skin and rub away your body’s natural moisture. Pat yourself gently to dry off.
- Moisturize. If you spend a lot of time in the sun and water, look for bath products that offer moisturizing elements. Look for products specifically formulated for swimmers. If you can find a sweat-proof, waterproof product that contains vitamins A and E, that is a great combination.
- Tanned skin is not healthy skin. If you long for that sun-kissed look, go for a bronzer or self-tanning lotion. Don’t spend time around the swimming pool without using a lotion with SPF and a good sunscreen. Read the label to determine how long it takes the sunscreen to absorb into your skin before jumping back into the water.
- Stay hydrated. Even though you will be in the water you need to stay hydrated especially if you’re out in the hot sunshine. Drinking water helps your body’s natural moisture rejuvenate itself. Also, staying properly hydrated will help your body flush out any contaminants from the pool water.
- Price isn’t all that matters. There are many skincare products on the market but remember – being expensive doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best. Read the ingredients and also look for products that are fragrance and preservative free.
Enjoy your time in the pool but care for your skin to keep it healthy for a lifetime.